Research & Development Engineer
MGF are currently seeking to recruit a Research and Development Engineer to join a leading Research and Development Department in Astley, Manchester.
The role will involve assisting the Company in its product development activities including research, detailed design, innovation, prototyping, testing, manufacturing, and existing fleet maintenance/upgrades. As well as researching into new business services/initiatives. Duties will include;
- Assisting with the project management of new product launches into the business
- Liaising with manufacture, operations, sales and engineers, suppliers, and customers etc
- Working independently to produce steelwork design calculations to BS5950 / EC3
- Working with Research and Development Team in producing manufacturing drawings for new products and modifications
- Developing products by studying customer requirements; researching and testing manufacturing methods and materials
- Load testing and material testing of new and existing products
- Perform researching tasks for the new Research and Development projects
- Interact with suppliers/customers to assist during research tasks
- Design and implement cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety, reliability and throughput
- Assist the Research and development Team in undertaking office administration and filing
- Becoming conversant with MGF’s entire product range – design/applications/install/removal etc. as well as the manufacturing process
- Develop, test, and evaluate theoretical designs
- Discuss and solve problems with manufacturing, subcontractors, suppliers, and customers
- Provide engineering information by answering questions and requests
- Conduct prototype field trials and production demos
- Recommend modifications in the light of prototype test results
- Use research, analytical, conceptual, and planning skills, particularly mathematical modelling and computer-aided design
- Assist the Research and development Team with presentations and demos
- Become familiar with Design software, installation guides, product ancillaries and the manufacturing process, as well as safety regulations, including LOLER, PUWER and CDM
The ideal candidate should have:
- Mechanical or Civil Engineering degree
- A minimum of one years’ design experience within a similar role, alternatively HNC/HND in Mechanical or Civil Engineering with a minimum of 3 years’ experience within a similar role
- Experience using Autodesk AutoCAD is also required
- Experience with Hydraulics, mechanical/ steelwork fabrication and temporary works design would be preferred, but is not essential, as would a working knowledge of Autodesk Inventor or Google Sketch Up.
The successful candidate will be working in a busy environment utilising state of the art software and systems. You will be provided with comprehensive product training and be expected to take on a high level of responsibility very quickly, liaising with customers, colleagues and operational teams taking full technical responsibility for your projects.
MGF Design Services provide temporary works consultancy, product design and development, site quality checks, site monitoring, major projects tendering services, technical sales support, and infrastructure management services to both internal and external customers. Operating to strict ISO 9001 Quality Systems, MGF Design Services are acknowledged experts in Temporary Works, Geotechnics and Structural Steelwork design, providing state of the art solutions to meet the most demanding health and safety requirements of the Construction Industry.
MGF Ltd. is a rapidly expanding, market leader in the design, manufacture, hire and sale of proprietary excavation support systems to the Construction Industry. Established in 1981, MGF employ over 400 staff at 14 locations nationwide. We are a highly respected sector leader, providing state of the art solutions. We have a passion to provide a total service to our Customers. We manufacture our own equipment and operate our own transport fleet. For more information about our Company and the exciting things we do please visit our website on www.mgf.co.uk
A competitive salary package is available for the right candidate.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of society.
All applicants will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
To apply, please submit your CV and salary expectations to Alison Womersley, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post :Alison Womersley
Ashton in Makerfield